Right now, I am doing a fun "experiment" and trying to take all of my friend's and my friend's mother's advice and "Just Relax".

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Keeping Track

As you all know if you have been reading my blog, I have chosen to be really honest about my "condition" to most of my family and friends. When they ask me about when I'm planning to have kids, I tell them straight up what is happening with my body.

I had one friend who was the boom about it. She was adopted and her mother is a little crazy and once told her that she was a last resort. Her mother struggled with infertility for 10 years before choosing to adopt. This friend of mine knows the pain of an infertile because she had to live with a mother who never let it go.

On the other hand, I also have the friends who don't know any better and say things like, "I'm sure if you just relax." Sometimes I am hopeful and I think that when they start out, "There are tons of people who adopt..." that they are going to tell me about the miracles of adoption and how those children will be the same as having one on my own. But usually it ends with, "...and afterwards get pregnant! You should just relax."

Are you keeping track? So far at 6 months along in my infertility, I have 3 people who have said the exact phrase "just relax". 4 people if you count the mother of the girl who told me she got some "great advice" for me, from her mother. What's your number?

1 comment:

  1. Too many freakin times, Phoebe!! These people need to learn about IF etiquette. I propose that next time someone suggests that, you just lift up the hand in a show of how much you DON'T want to hear that.

    ReplyDelete