Right now, I am doing a fun "experiment" and trying to take all of my friend's and my friend's mother's advice and "Just Relax".

Monday, April 12, 2010

None of Your Fricken Business!

Let me start off by saying, This is not directed at you.

I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS for short). I'm a pretty religious person but I try not to be in your face about it. I love this Church and I know that it is true.

I don't like "Mormon" culture. "Mormon" is a nickname that people have for LDS members because we believe that the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ. I call people "Mormons" who have their own weird sub-culture that has nothing to do with the teachings if the LDS church.

In the Mormon culture, women feel like they are born to make babies and so their goals in life consist of learning crafts, getting married to have babies, and learning more crafts.

With that all explained, let me tell you a story. I live in a place that is highly populated with members of the LDS faith. While at college last semester I took a "Interpersonal Process" class and met this one girl that I am going to call Lady A. Lady A is a total Mormon. She was single when we met and two months later she met a guy and one month later they were engaged. The engagement lasted for a month and they were married on January 2 of this year. She told me before they got married that she was planning on not using birth control but "letting God give her a baby". 3 days after she was married, she was pregnant.

I found out that she was pregnant about the same time that I was going through finding out about PCOS and so I wasn't outright avoiding her but I wasn't going out of my way to hang out with her either.

Today I ran into her while trying to get to one of my classes.

We made small talk. She showed me her little baby bump and I let her talking about the joy she is feeling.

Then she said, "What's new with you? Are you pregnant, yet?"

I guess since I have been married for 10 months at least a hint of a baby on the way would be expected. But we have only been trying since I found out that it might be a while.

I told her, "No. No baby on the way."

And then she said the most hurtful thing that could be said to me right now, "What's taking so long?"

She wasn't trying to be mean. I kept telling myself over and over again. I was stunned. I just stood there. Silent.

I just said, "Nope. Nothing new. I better get to class."

I kept hearing, "What's taking so long?" over and over again in my head. I stopped myself from crying but it was hard. It hasn't been that long since I started trying but, I have no reason to think it is going to be anytime soon. The thought of me being 5 years from now with no baby has been banging around in my head lately.

She didn't know what she was saying. She didn't know if would hurt. But even then, what business is it of hers when I am planning on having children?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, how insensitive. However, she is clearly totally clueless and has NO idea she is being insensitive. It is NONE of her business. There are people who choose not to have children right away or ever for that matter. Yuck, I am sorry. Forget what she said, its not worth the energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I think I will forget! I will have babies when my body good and well feels like it! :) Thanks for listening!

    ReplyDelete