Right now, I am doing a fun "experiment" and trying to take all of my friend's and my friend's mother's advice and "Just Relax".

Monday, July 26, 2010

Coming Out and Saying It

When people ask Oscar and I about having children, I always go the 100% honest route.
"So, when are you and Oscar planning on having kids?"
"Now would be great but I have PCOS so we will see how that goes."

Or...

"When are we going to see some grandchildren?"
"Whenever my eggs decide to come out of hiding. With PCOS I just never know when I am going to ovulate."

This has actually started some really great discussions with people. I have found another girl, in one of my summer classes, who also has PCOS and a woman at church who had a miscarriage and needed someone to talk to.

I've also had some unwanted advice about this whole situation but mostly it has been a really great experience just being honest.

My husband is amazed with how many people open up to me about different things when they barely know me but the truth is, I make people comfortable by first putting myself out there.

People want to share their feelings and they want someone to talk with about their struggles. When I am the brave one first, I am able to be that for them. I would encourage everyone who feels comfortable talking about their struggles and even those who don't, to talk with someone about it. You never know who will surprise you with just the thing that you needed to hear at that time.

4 comments:

  1. good for you!

    thanks for your comment on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're brave!!! My parents and in-laws know already about our struggle (they know that we want to have kids, so they never pester us with that question about giving them grandkids). As to others, if I feel that they are only chit-chatting and they obviously have had kids already, I've learnt that it's wiser to answer: "Just pray for us that we'll have kids soon."

    At least by saying that sentence, the only thing they can say back is: "Of course I'll pray for you two" instead of giving ass-vices he he...

    If I think that the person asking me the question truly cares about me (instead of just chit-chatting) and we have enough time to cover the basis, then I may give a straight answer. Otherwise I'm tired already explaining everything 'coz there are so many people who've asked me that question (mostly ex-school friends I met in Facebook).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure wouldn't tell a person just in a grocery aisle about it but yeah, I just try and be straight up.

    I know what you mean about ass-vice though...that happens some too. I think that I am going to borrow that from you...that is exactly how I would describe it!

    You are so great for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I didn't come up with that ass-vice...I read it somewhere, so dunno who came up with that hi hi...

    I didn't mean you'd be open to someone in a grocery aisle, but if I'm not too close to the person or if I feel that they're just chit-chatting (mainly in Indonesian culture asking whether or not you're pregnant already once you're married is as normal as talking about the weather and it's considered a normal chit-chat question when you meet again with your ex-school friends or neighbours or whatever), I prefer not to reveal too much about IF 'coz of the responses I'd gotten the first few times I was open with them...

    ReplyDelete