Right now, I am doing a fun "experiment" and trying to take all of my friend's and my friend's mother's advice and "Just Relax".

Thursday, October 28, 2010

My Church Children

In my church, people are "called" to do different jobs and serve in different capacities. To give of our time and our talents.

It is a pretty great system actually and keeps the church functioning.

Almost a year ago, we were asked to teachers for the Sunday school class for 4 year olds. It is a pretty easy gig. For 40 minutes we teach them about Jesus and have them color pictures and have them talk about their weeks. Then another 40 minutes keeping them quiet while they learn different religious songs and more about Jesus.

When my husband and I got this calling, the leader calling us to this position said, "We hope that while you have this calling you will gain more experience together with children and start to grow your own family."

Well, at the time, I didn't know that I had PCOS but I still thought, "Wow...that is totally none of your business."

Sometimes while teaching these children, I get really desperately sad. I love them. I really really love them. Each and every one of them. But...it is just hard, because right before we go into the big meeting for everyone, I have to help them find their families until it is only Oscar and I left.

The Sunday after Oscar and I found out that we wouldn't be expanding our family quite yet through adoption, I ditched out. I couldn't do it. I didn't want to see them. I didn't want them telling me about their lives or hugging me or wanting to sit on my lap.

I wanted to take them home and keep them forever.

They drew me a picture. It is covered in hearts. Really poorly draw hearts that look more like real heart than I'm sure was intended.

I wish that it wasn't so easy to love children. And I wish that it wasn't so hard to get one for myself.

3 comments:

  1. It IS really easy to love children. And it can be so very difficult to 'get one for ourselves'. Sorry to hear you have felt pressure from a fellow church member; that must have been quite rough. Hope a little tot comes your way real quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, isn't it? I bet you are SO wonderful with these children and so is Oscar. Hard to understand why there would be such a road block to you becoming parents. My husband and I are both known as being these people who are amazing with kids. Yet, this infertility is stopping us in our tracks. It seems just plain cruel.

    It must be SO difficult at church where people see how great you both are with kids and yet have no baby bump to show for. Church is way more intimate than say, work, and so some people feel ok getting all up into your business. I hope that you are able to find a way to be comfortable there, give your Sunday School responsibilities and given the expectations that you will "grow your family". I'm glad to hear that you are trying to take care of yourself through that.

    Sending you hugs, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HUGE HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no words here except I wish things were different for you...

    ReplyDelete