Right now, I am doing a fun "experiment" and trying to take all of my friend's and my friend's mother's advice and "Just Relax".

Friday, October 15, 2010

Have I Done Any Good In the World?

A friend of mine in the RW (real world) is having a blog hop today and I thought that I would join in. This is the first time that I am letting any of my RW friends see my blog...so it is kind of a big deal.

I've wanted this blog to be my safe place and haven. I've told all my closest friends about the problems my husband and I have been having but this blog was a place for safe disclosure. So this is kind of a big deal.

The topic of her blog hop is "Have I Done Any Good in the World Today?" I don't know if I have done any amazing service in the last little bit but I might be hopping on that band wagon soon to help give me a little pick me up. (I've had some bad news lately that I'll share when I'm ready.)

For the sake of the blog hop though, I will write about some of the little stuff I have been doing.
I've been in Hawaii the last couple weeks (I know...I'm blessed.) visiting my husband's family. His grandmother is getting older and needs help doing some things. Most of the service that I have been doing recently was to help her out. Help her up stairs, walking onto the beach, washing dishes....but I love it because I love her. This woman is a grandma...inside and out. She is so wise and feisty and sweet and loving and crafty. She has so much to give to me that it really doesn't seem like service at all when I'm with her. It just happens because there is so much love there.

Doing a good turn daily is something I need to work on for sure. It isn't that hard to say something nice to someone or let them know you care about them. Sometimes that is all it takes.

I was watching the news the other night when they were talking about a man who saved a child who had been kidnapped and someone asked, "What makes him more likely to be a hero than any of the other people who saw this happen?" And the "expert" said, "He acted. He didn't just think 'it is someone else's concern, not mine'. He did something when he saw something."

That was so profound to me. I want to work on that. When I have an impulse to do something good or kind, I need to follow through.

5 comments:

  1. Good post. I like this idea. We all need to step up and be more aware of people who could use a little or big help. Spread a little love. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this post, Phoebe!!! It makes me smile...and I LOVE what you wrote about the grandma...it's true that when you feel so much love, you'll want to serve that person, right? But when you don't know that person, that quote you gave us was really profound indeed. :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a huge heart, Phoebe. I strongly suspect you to be unaware of all the ways in which you share your goodness with the world.

    Welcome back from Hawaii. It sounds like it was a wonderful trip. Your husband's grandmother sounds like a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your blog with me. I'm so glad that you felt okay with sharing this part of your life with me. You are awesome. And thanks for participating in the blog hop! I love how you showed that service doesn't have to be a giant project - it can be more of an attitude that you bring to your lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that you guys are getting a totally skewed image of me in your heads!! Hahahaha, I'm really not that great of a humanitarian!

    @Mrs.Potts You can feel honored to be one of my only RW friends who know about this website! Hopefully I haven't written anything to bad about you in here!

    ReplyDelete